The first step in planning a successful cocktail party is to pick a theme. Your cocktail party theme will inform the rest of your planning from the invitations to the decorations. Here are five unique cocktail party themes to help you throw a successful party:
- Hollywood Theme: Everyone loves the glitz and glamour of Hollywood, which makes this the perfect theme for an elegant cocktail party. Invite all of your guests to come dressed in their red carpet best. For the décor, incorporate Hollywood-inspired items like a red carpet or a "walk of fame". Make upscale versions of trendy finger foods like kobe beef sliders and mini red velvet cupcakes. Your guests will feel like movie stars!
- Luau Theme: A luau theme is perfect for a summer cocktail party when hosted outdoors. Create an island oasis by decorating with palm trees, tiki torches, leis and candles. To make this theme truly come to life, play Caribbean music during the party. Serve fruity cocktails and island-inspired food to complete the luau theme.
- BBQ Theme: This theme works best during the warmer months and is the perfect way to celebrate milestone events. Send out BBQ or picnic inspired digital invitations to all of your guests. Keep the décor simple but elegant and make fun table decorations like windmills in a tin. Include classic BBQ favorites on your menu, like hamburgers, hotdogs and chicken kabobs along with a variety of summer salads and seasonal fruits. Since your party is all about the outdoors, set up backyard games like whiffle ball, football, badminton or croquet.
- Black and White Theme: Throwing a black and white cocktail party is an upscale and fun idea. Send out black and white invitations to your guests that specify that they must dress in black and white. Use the theme to inspire the perfect décor, and decorate with black and white balloons, table covers, centerpieces and place cards. Serve two signature cocktails at the party, like a Black Cherry Martini (using black cherry vodka) and a White Russian. Try to incorporate the black and white theme into the party food and desserts too!
- Disco Theme: If you love the disco era, throw a 70s-themed disco cocktail party! Send out disco-themed digital invitations to your guests and ask that they dress as "groovy" as possible. The décor at the party is important, so include lots of disco-inspired decorations. Things like disco balls, colorful balloons, streamers, glitter and 70s disco music are all perfect.
Cocktail party themes can be based on anything, so use your imagination and throw a festive party that your friends will be talking about for days to come!