Ideas for Hosting a Black & White Party
A black and white party theme is a fabulous idea for any party. Whether you are celebrating a birthday, anniversary, graduation, or if you just want to host a dinner party for you and your friends, black and white parties are a fun way to include your guests in the party experience. Here are some great ideas to help you throw a memorable black and white party:
- Invitations: Send out black and white invitations to your guests to let them know the theme of the party. Make sure you specify what you'd like guests to wear (ie all white, all black, a combination, etc.). On your invitation, you can also let guests know if you'd like them to bring something. Punchbowl's Potluck feature is ideal if you want to ask guests to sign up to bring items.
- Balloons: Black and white party decorations are essential for your black and white party. Start with black and white balloons and streamers. You can set up balloon bouquets, a mini balloon arch, or another type of arrangement, depending on your party space. Silver is a nice accent color with black and white so you might want to consider adding some silver balloons with your arrangements.
- Centerpieces: If you plan to have table centerpieces, place white candles on mirrors and sprinkle black and white confetti around the mirror for an elegant effect. Another centerpiece option is to fill up square vases with white roses or lilies and put black stones in the bottom of the vase.
- Food/Beverages: Make the food and drinks for the party as black and white as you can. Black bean dip and white tortilla chips make a great appetizer. For the main entrée serve pasta alfredo, blackened chicken, finger sandwiches on rye or marble bread, etc. For dessert, think black and white cookies, layered parfaits, cupcakes, whoopie pies, and a delicious black forest cake. Chocolate martinis, mudslides, and white Russians are all great cocktails to serve at your black & white party as well.
- Attire: For your black and white party, why not make it a semi-black tie affair? Have guests dress up in their black and white bests. Gentlemen can wear nice black pants and a white button down shirt and ladies can wear black and/or white cocktail dresses. If you don’t want your party to be really fancy, let guests know that it is preferred that they wear all black or all white (you can even designate men to wear all black and women to wear all white - or vice versa).
- Party Playlist: Create a party playlist that ties in with your black and white theme. Here are a few songs to get your playlist started: "Black or White" by Michael Jackson, "Men in Black" by Will Smith, "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstall, "Fade to Black" by Metallica, "Black Magic Woman" by Santana, "White Liar" by Miranda Lambert, "White Wedding" by Billy Idol. You can also play songs by the Black Eyed Peas, White Stripes, and Black Crowes.
- Party Favors: One simple idea for black and white party favors is to get small, square black boxes (the size of a ring box) and fill them with white chocolates. You could also fill up clear plastic goody bags or martini glasses with black and white M&Ms or Hershey kisses.
Ready to plan your own black and white party? Get started with free online invitations!
Sign up and we'll send more inspiration straight to you.Sign up now