How to Trim a Christmas Tree
The centerpiece of every Christmas celebration is always the tree, but trimming a Christmas tree perfectly can be a challenge. Trim a Christmas tree with the following easy steps and make a tree that everyone will want to enjoy!
Here are some directions for how to decorate a Christmas tree.
- Tree (real or fake)
- Christmas tree stand
- Gardening sheers or sharp scissors
- Vacuum or broom
- Christmas lights
- Tree skirt
- Decide whether you'll decorate your tree on your own, or host friends and family for a tree-trimming party. It can be really helpful to have extra hands - and a fantastic way to get into the holiday spirit. Here are a couple of our favorite Tree Trimming Party invitations:
- Decide on the best place to put your tree because it'll be extremely challenging to move once it's decorated. Also, put it in a place that is away from any heat sources, fireplaces, or anything else that could be a potential fire hazard.
- Attach the base of the tree to a tree stand that will support the height and weight of your tree. Make sure that your tree is attached securely before continuing. If you have a particularly tall tree, secure the top to the wall behind it with some strong wire and a screw-in hook.
- Next, you need to fluff and trim your tree. This may sound silly, but it is a crucial step in making the tree look full and lively. To do this, go around your entire tree separating and fluffing the branches that may have gotten flattened during transport. Use gardening sheers or scissors to trim any branches that are too long or out of place.
- String the Christmas lights around the tree. Before doing so, test them to make sure that they are all working. When decorating a Christmas tree with lights, it is easiest to start are the top and work your way down. Push the lights in so they are nestled deep on the branches. This will give you that wonderful glowing effect. Pro tip: Once you get the lights strung, stand back and look at the tree with squinted eyes. In the blurred effect, you'll be able to see whether the lights are evenly spaced, or if you have dark patches. Fill in any spots as necessary.
- Decorate your tree with ornaments, garlands, and any other decorations that may add to the look of your tree. This is where you get to be really creative. Go with traditional red, green, and gold ornaments. Or choose a color theme that suits your tastes. We've seen everything from a pink tree to a tree totally done up to match favorite team colors. Don’t forget to place a tree topper like a star or an angel at the very top! Pro tip: Place the heavier, larger ornaments at the bottom of the tree and the small, lighter ornaments closer to the top. The branches near the bottom of the tree tend to be stronger and can support more weight.
When you're all done, use a vacuum or broom to clean up any pine needles, branches, or dirt around the tree that may have fallen. Then, place the tree skirt around the base of the tree and then place wrapped presents for the perfect photo-op background.
Once you’re done Christmas tree trimming, invite your friends and family over for a holiday get-together and to show off your tree! Here's one of our favorite FREE Christmas party invitations, perfect for the occasion!
Love this article?
Sign up and we'll send more inspiration straight to you.Sign up now